GOD HAS BLESSED US AND WE ARE SO THANKFUL!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ear Tubes!

Yesterday I took Luke for his ENT appt. His pediatrician had recommended we go to establish ourselves with their practice due to the recurrent ear infections. I really thought when I made the appt about a month ago that we would be going to do just that... get to know them, and be in their system. Last Wed. Luke got a new cold and so when we went to the appt he had a bad cough and was really congested. The dr. said he did not have an ear infection but did have fluid in his ears. He gave me a full explanation of how the ear functions, etc. He said he would do a hearing test and then we could talk more. During the hearing test we were in a capsule like room where we sat in a chair facing front and then there would be noises to the left and right and puppets. I was to just face forward and not react when I heard the noises. For most of the noises Luke would look left and right but on some of the softer noises like blowing air and running water he did not react. That caused him to fail the test. It made me so sad knowing that I could hear the noises and he could not due to the fluid. That reassured me that he does need the tubes. The dr. said we could do the "wait and see approach" but we might be back in the same situation next Fall. Plus Luke has already taken more antibiotics than they would like in 6 months and Luke took them in a 3 month span. I called yesterday and left a message to set up his surgery. We are going to try to schedule it in the next few weeks. I was reassured that he will not be under anesthesia. It is just a mask.. like at the dentist that puts you under a little bit. Please be praying that everything goes well and that we will have peace of mind over all of this. It was not until 10 months that he got his first ear infection. I thought we had totally bipassed all of that but then fall/winter came and the colds started. There are several other kids at daycare that have gotten and that are getting tubes. Also another friend of ours is getting them this weekend. Please be praying for these little guys. I will update once we have the surgery scheduled as well.

We went to my parents house last Wed. night and stayed until Sunday. It was my mom's spring break and so we spent the long weekend together. It was a lot of fun and we spent the weekend at their lake house. We have a lot of great pictures that I will post one night this week. Luke has started eating so much better. He will try more new foods and is gradually getting to where different textures are ok with him. YEAH!!! He also has grown several inches in the last few weeks. He used to not be able to reach the 3rd shelf on our bookshelf in his playroom. We had some of our books and collectibles on that shelf. Last night he was able to clear that shelf right off. He is standing up a lot straighter too so that is probably part of the height. I plan to measure him soon and will post that as well.

2 comments:

The Cains said...

Bless his heart. We have several friends who have little ones with tubes and they've made a HUGE difference. I hope it will for Luke. Praying for y'all!

Anonymous said...

Awe! Sweet Luke! I hope he starts to feel better and I pray that the tubes are the answer to the problems he's having with his hearing. I will keep you guys in my prayers for sure. Keep me posted on when you schedule the surgery.