What a month!! There were so many things that happened in February that I wanted to blog about them each individually. Now that we are at March 7th that just seems way too overwhelming so I will just make a summary post of what all has gone on.
We had been looking forward to February because we had a family trip planned to Orlando. My parents had given us all tickets to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure for Christmas. We had booked a condo for all of us to stay in back in August and so we were all super excited for February to arrive! We left on a Friday afternoon to drive down 1/2 way and then arrived at lunch time on Saturday in Orlando. We had planned to go to Downtown Disney that night and then to start at parks on Sunday. If you remember that cold cold weekend when it was in the teens in Alabama and Georgia well that was the weekend we arrived in Orlando. It was in the 60's on Saturday but by that night the wind was blowing and it was super cold. We had seen the forecasts but did not realize how cold it would truly be with the wind blowing and the lows in the morning. Sunday morning we went to Universal Studios and it was only 33 degrees out. We bundled up the best we could and set out for a fun day! Despite the cold we had a wonderful day that day. Monday was another cold morning but by afternoon it was where you could at least take off your jacket. We went to Islands of Adventure that day. That was more of the adults day with all the roller coasters. Harry Potter is at Islands of Adventure and it was so crazy how many people just stood around in that area. The rest of the park would not be crowded but that area was jam packed. Jody and I rode the Hulk roller coaster 5 times because there was just no wait! Dr. Seuss area was super fun and the boys just loved it!
Tuesday we went to Magic Kingdom and it was much warmer.. we wished we had on shorts. We were excited to be able to take Jake to see "Mickey's House" We had originally planned to just go to the Universal parks but had the extra day so decided why not when we drove all the way down there. We were surprised how crowded it was at Magic Kingdom. I have been at several different times during the year and did not realize it would be so jam packed. Fantasy Land was extra crowded due to the renovations and having a lot of the area blocked off. That will be really nice once that area is expanded and the new areas. With all the strollers in that area it can get a little crazy! We knew we only had the one day at Disney so we arrived when the park opened and stayed until it closed so needless to say we were exhausted! In the past we have stayed for a full week and stayed on site so we were able to come and go and have time to rest. I much prefer being able to rest but it was a really fun day and I know the boys really loved it too!
Wednesday we returned home and I had a sore throat. Wade and Melanie had suffered with sinus infections and with the drastic weather changes I felt like I might have the same thing. I continued to feel bad but it was not until Friday night that I had a burning pain in my chest and a cough. I thought maybe instead of a sinus infection I had walking pneumonia because it is more in your chest. Saturday was Luke's 4th birthday party so I took some advil and we went to bowl!
Luke's 4th birthday party was a combined party with Collin. It was a spiderman/batman themed party. They are in the same class at school and we had both talked about a bowling party so it only seemed right to do the combined party! It turned out perfectly and we had so much FUN! We invited several friends from school, The Valencia girls, and Max. Luke loves to play video games so it was nice that the birthday package included gift cards to also play the games. It was very organized and you had a birthday host that helped keep everything on schedule. The party was a Stars and Strikes in Cumming. It was our first time to take the boys bowling and so I look forward to going back soon.
After his party I started to feel worse and by the time we got home my advil had worn off and I had a fever. I went to the urgent care and they gave me a flu test and it was positive... I was totally shocked because I had gotten a flu shot. The dr. said I was the second person she had seen that day that had gotten a flu shot and tested positive. We were all given a prescription for Tamiflu mine to treat the flu and the others to prevent it. We also took Jake to the dr. because he had a lot of congestion and was just lying around and they said he had a double ear infection. Jody never has to travel for work but of course when we are all sick he does. He had to leave for California that Sunday for 3 days. My parents had come into town for Luke's party and were so great in helping take care of the boys so I could rest. They ended up taking us back to their lake house so I could rest and they could care for the boys. I would have been fine staying home and taking care of myself but it was taking care of the boys that I worried about. Having fever just makes me feel so horrible and it lasted for several days. I ended up coming back to Atlanta on Tuesday once the fever had broken and I had more energy.
That gets us to last weekend when it was Luke's actual birthday 2/25). Our first born turned 4 years old! How is that even possible! I remember finding out I was pregnant with him, decorating his room, having baby showers, bringing him home from the hospital...and the list goes on and on. We went to eat at Mellow Mushroom for his birthday and also got a small ice cream cake to have as a family. We had waited to give him his presents until his actual birthday so he was also able to open the presents from us. What an adventure it has been in becoming parents and learning what true love really is. Luke continues to be super sensitive and so loving. He is really interested in playing games and especially on the computer/phone. It is amazing how really good he is at the games too. He loves playing outside and climbing on trees, playing with sticks, and at the park.
This past Monday 2/27 we took the boys for their 2 and 4 year check ups. They both checked out well on everything. Luke remains in the 90th percentile for height/weight (44lbs and 42inches tall) and Jake is around the 60th percentile at (29lbs and 36 inches tall) Jake only had to get his finger pricked to check his iron but Luke had to get 4 shots in his legs. From what I had heard they were pretty painful too and it was very evident by that evening that he was feeling bad. He kept saying that his legs were really sore. He even wanted to leave the park early that afternoon so I knew he must be feeling bad. After we left the Pediatrician we took Jake for his follow up Cardiologist appointment. Every other time that we have gone we barely had to wait.. not this time. The lobby was full and they said they were running way behind. Nothing like having to entertain a 2 and 4 year old in a dr. office for over an hour. They were both really good despite the situation. They let us know that Jake still has his VSD but it is very small and in the muscular part of his heart. We will follow up again in another 1-2 years when we will do another Echocardiogram. They said they do not see it giving him problems but they will continue to monitor it. We will have the next appointment and then after that they will be more spaced out- every 3-5 years.
So.... as you can see February was jam packed! I really cannot believe we are already into March. I am really enjoying this warmer weather and I am looking forward to daylight savings time and Spring.
We had been looking forward to February because we had a family trip planned to Orlando. My parents had given us all tickets to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure for Christmas. We had booked a condo for all of us to stay in back in August and so we were all super excited for February to arrive! We left on a Friday afternoon to drive down 1/2 way and then arrived at lunch time on Saturday in Orlando. We had planned to go to Downtown Disney that night and then to start at parks on Sunday. If you remember that cold cold weekend when it was in the teens in Alabama and Georgia well that was the weekend we arrived in Orlando. It was in the 60's on Saturday but by that night the wind was blowing and it was super cold. We had seen the forecasts but did not realize how cold it would truly be with the wind blowing and the lows in the morning. Sunday morning we went to Universal Studios and it was only 33 degrees out. We bundled up the best we could and set out for a fun day! Despite the cold we had a wonderful day that day. Monday was another cold morning but by afternoon it was where you could at least take off your jacket. We went to Islands of Adventure that day. That was more of the adults day with all the roller coasters. Harry Potter is at Islands of Adventure and it was so crazy how many people just stood around in that area. The rest of the park would not be crowded but that area was jam packed. Jody and I rode the Hulk roller coaster 5 times because there was just no wait! Dr. Seuss area was super fun and the boys just loved it!
Tuesday we went to Magic Kingdom and it was much warmer.. we wished we had on shorts. We were excited to be able to take Jake to see "Mickey's House" We had originally planned to just go to the Universal parks but had the extra day so decided why not when we drove all the way down there. We were surprised how crowded it was at Magic Kingdom. I have been at several different times during the year and did not realize it would be so jam packed. Fantasy Land was extra crowded due to the renovations and having a lot of the area blocked off. That will be really nice once that area is expanded and the new areas. With all the strollers in that area it can get a little crazy! We knew we only had the one day at Disney so we arrived when the park opened and stayed until it closed so needless to say we were exhausted! In the past we have stayed for a full week and stayed on site so we were able to come and go and have time to rest. I much prefer being able to rest but it was a really fun day and I know the boys really loved it too!
Wednesday we returned home and I had a sore throat. Wade and Melanie had suffered with sinus infections and with the drastic weather changes I felt like I might have the same thing. I continued to feel bad but it was not until Friday night that I had a burning pain in my chest and a cough. I thought maybe instead of a sinus infection I had walking pneumonia because it is more in your chest. Saturday was Luke's 4th birthday party so I took some advil and we went to bowl!
Luke's 4th birthday party was a combined party with Collin. It was a spiderman/batman themed party. They are in the same class at school and we had both talked about a bowling party so it only seemed right to do the combined party! It turned out perfectly and we had so much FUN! We invited several friends from school, The Valencia girls, and Max. Luke loves to play video games so it was nice that the birthday package included gift cards to also play the games. It was very organized and you had a birthday host that helped keep everything on schedule. The party was a Stars and Strikes in Cumming. It was our first time to take the boys bowling and so I look forward to going back soon.
After his party I started to feel worse and by the time we got home my advil had worn off and I had a fever. I went to the urgent care and they gave me a flu test and it was positive... I was totally shocked because I had gotten a flu shot. The dr. said I was the second person she had seen that day that had gotten a flu shot and tested positive. We were all given a prescription for Tamiflu mine to treat the flu and the others to prevent it. We also took Jake to the dr. because he had a lot of congestion and was just lying around and they said he had a double ear infection. Jody never has to travel for work but of course when we are all sick he does. He had to leave for California that Sunday for 3 days. My parents had come into town for Luke's party and were so great in helping take care of the boys so I could rest. They ended up taking us back to their lake house so I could rest and they could care for the boys. I would have been fine staying home and taking care of myself but it was taking care of the boys that I worried about. Having fever just makes me feel so horrible and it lasted for several days. I ended up coming back to Atlanta on Tuesday once the fever had broken and I had more energy.
That gets us to last weekend when it was Luke's actual birthday 2/25). Our first born turned 4 years old! How is that even possible! I remember finding out I was pregnant with him, decorating his room, having baby showers, bringing him home from the hospital...and the list goes on and on. We went to eat at Mellow Mushroom for his birthday and also got a small ice cream cake to have as a family. We had waited to give him his presents until his actual birthday so he was also able to open the presents from us. What an adventure it has been in becoming parents and learning what true love really is. Luke continues to be super sensitive and so loving. He is really interested in playing games and especially on the computer/phone. It is amazing how really good he is at the games too. He loves playing outside and climbing on trees, playing with sticks, and at the park.
This past Monday 2/27 we took the boys for their 2 and 4 year check ups. They both checked out well on everything. Luke remains in the 90th percentile for height/weight (44lbs and 42inches tall) and Jake is around the 60th percentile at (29lbs and 36 inches tall) Jake only had to get his finger pricked to check his iron but Luke had to get 4 shots in his legs. From what I had heard they were pretty painful too and it was very evident by that evening that he was feeling bad. He kept saying that his legs were really sore. He even wanted to leave the park early that afternoon so I knew he must be feeling bad. After we left the Pediatrician we took Jake for his follow up Cardiologist appointment. Every other time that we have gone we barely had to wait.. not this time. The lobby was full and they said they were running way behind. Nothing like having to entertain a 2 and 4 year old in a dr. office for over an hour. They were both really good despite the situation. They let us know that Jake still has his VSD but it is very small and in the muscular part of his heart. We will follow up again in another 1-2 years when we will do another Echocardiogram. They said they do not see it giving him problems but they will continue to monitor it. We will have the next appointment and then after that they will be more spaced out- every 3-5 years.
So.... as you can see February was jam packed! I really cannot believe we are already into March. I am really enjoying this warmer weather and I am looking forward to daylight savings time and Spring.

No comments:
Post a Comment