(WARNING - VERY LONG POST) (I wrote this several weeks ago but never posted it)
November 11th I had a dentist appointment to get a crown. My mom was in town and was able to watch the boys. Jake and Luke were playing and Jake was pushing Luke. Luke moved and it caused Jake to fall forward into one of the "round" dresser knobs on the dresser in our room. The fall and pressure of the hit was so hard that it busted Jake's head open. Luckily my mom is a nurse and knows how to handle these things. I called from the dentist to let them know I was on my way home. That is when my mom told me there had been an accident. I know she felt so horrible but Jody and I reassured her that it could have just as easily happened when we were watching him. The crazy thing is that the round dresser knob was the last thing that I thought would cause a gash to the head. Jake is an adventurous little boy and has run into the door facing, hard woods, corners of tables, etc. We had planned to meet some other ladies from my neighborhood at Catch Air but instead had to take Jake to the Pediatrician for them to look at his head. After waiting 30 minutes to be seen we removed the band aid and sure enough they said it needed stitches. They said we would need to go to Pediatric Urgent Care. It was around 11:00 and it opened at 11 so we decided to take my mom and Luke to Catch Air and I would take Jake to the Urgent Care. Luke was so excited about going to the blow up slides which he calls "Monkey Joes" Wherever he sees these slides- he says " Can I go on the Monkey Joes" - too funny! At the urgent care the nurses and doctor were wonderful. We were the only ones there so that was a huge blessing. The worst part was the waiting on the medicine to numb Jake's forehead ( 30 minutes) and then he had to be given "Versed" (sp) to help him relax. They had to squirt it up his nose and poor thing kept saying " my nose" "my nose". This is the medicine that they say will make them loopy or seem drunk. They cant walk around once given this. We were approaching lunch time and nap time. We had to hold Jake down so that was not fun and he cried and cried but luckily the doctor went pretty fast. She gave him 4 stitches and they were the dissolveable ones. We have had to keep a bandaid with neosporin on it but it seems to be healing well. They said it should not get wet and that has been one of the hardest things. Jake loves to pour water over his head or even lay down on his tummy in the bath tub so we have been having to try our best to keep him from doing that.
So that was Friday... Saturday morning Jody and I were planning to go to the Auburn/Georgia game. Luke had been scratching his hair and my mom said she would look at it. She is a school nurse and sees here fair share of LICE so she said she would check. It is about 8am when she finds LICE in my babies hair. About 2 weeks prior I had seen a notice at the school about a child having lice in the classroom next to Jake. So we run to the store to get some products and start the cleaning process. If you have ever experienced lice then you know that the first thing you need to do is scream! The amount of washing and cleaning that you have to do is just crazy!!! Sheets, Car Seat Covers (4) , blankets, jackets, stuffed animals, rugs, etc.
We decided to try the mayonnaise treatment on Luke's hair. Most of the store products are pesticides and dangerous to children so we were trying to read about other ideas. Mayonnaise is one but the downfall is you have to leave it on the hair for 6-8 hours. So I put on gloves and rubbed mayonnaise.. yes mayonnaise all in Luke's hair. We wrapped his head in saran wrap and then put a bandana over the top. He was amazing!! (Jody and I left for the game- yes I felt horrible but my mom insisted that we go) After the mayonnaise sits on your hair for 8 hours - suffocating the lice_ you wash it out with dish soap you then have to brush through the hair trying to get out all lice and nits. On the way to the game I become obsessed with treatments and ideas and searching on the internet and in reading one blog it said that the fatal mistake is to not treat or check all kids. So that night we get back from the game.... we had a great time at the game but geez did Auburn play horrible... and I immediately check Jake's hair.......and he has lice... WHAT?? His hair is so white blonde that it was freaky that we could see 3 bugs in the middle of his head walking around.... So again we have to rewash everything that had been used that day! We decide that since it is night we dont have time to do the mayonnaise on him so we go back to the store and buy Lice MD which is not a pesticide and is pediatrician recommended. It was like baby oil... slippery and very messy. I cannot believe Jake sat and let us put that in his hair and then you have to comb through it and comb through it... We only found a few more. The next morning (Sunday) we check Luke again and NOOOO we find another bug and some nits. I am now freaking out!! I am so tired from washing and cleaning and combing!! I cannot thank my mom enough for her being here and helping me because without her I would have lost my mind. Jody was so supportive but men are just not the best in those types of situations... My personality is to become obsessed in situations like this and I just wanted it out of my house. If I could have I probably would have packed up and moved :) So we used the Lice MD on Luke and comb his hair for about an hour... my mom and I each taking turns on sides of his head to be sure we get everything. I continue to comb it later that day and did not see anything else. Monday I decide that I want to see what products are available to prevent lice because once you have it once... you REALLY do not want it again. The bad thing is that once you have had it once you are more likely to get it again. I found a place online called Headhunters Lice Removal Service (located in Alpharetta). I made an appt for Wed. to have us all checked. That place was awesome. So professional and give you all the specifics on what you need to be doing and all the stuff out there that is just a scam. The boys were all clear- Yippee! I had them check my hair while we were there and you guessed it.. I had the beginning stages. Luckily we caught it ahead of the game and so they were able to do a treatment (brushing my hair for about an hour) and got them all out. They said if you have 2 children with it that the parents have an 87% chance of getting it. So I went back the following week for a follow up and I was completely clear!! I do pray that was our one and only encounter but at least now I am prepared with what to do and where to go.
Here are a few pictures of Jake before and after his stitches-

November 11th I had a dentist appointment to get a crown. My mom was in town and was able to watch the boys. Jake and Luke were playing and Jake was pushing Luke. Luke moved and it caused Jake to fall forward into one of the "round" dresser knobs on the dresser in our room. The fall and pressure of the hit was so hard that it busted Jake's head open. Luckily my mom is a nurse and knows how to handle these things. I called from the dentist to let them know I was on my way home. That is when my mom told me there had been an accident. I know she felt so horrible but Jody and I reassured her that it could have just as easily happened when we were watching him. The crazy thing is that the round dresser knob was the last thing that I thought would cause a gash to the head. Jake is an adventurous little boy and has run into the door facing, hard woods, corners of tables, etc. We had planned to meet some other ladies from my neighborhood at Catch Air but instead had to take Jake to the Pediatrician for them to look at his head. After waiting 30 minutes to be seen we removed the band aid and sure enough they said it needed stitches. They said we would need to go to Pediatric Urgent Care. It was around 11:00 and it opened at 11 so we decided to take my mom and Luke to Catch Air and I would take Jake to the Urgent Care. Luke was so excited about going to the blow up slides which he calls "Monkey Joes" Wherever he sees these slides- he says " Can I go on the Monkey Joes" - too funny! At the urgent care the nurses and doctor were wonderful. We were the only ones there so that was a huge blessing. The worst part was the waiting on the medicine to numb Jake's forehead ( 30 minutes) and then he had to be given "Versed" (sp) to help him relax. They had to squirt it up his nose and poor thing kept saying " my nose" "my nose". This is the medicine that they say will make them loopy or seem drunk. They cant walk around once given this. We were approaching lunch time and nap time. We had to hold Jake down so that was not fun and he cried and cried but luckily the doctor went pretty fast. She gave him 4 stitches and they were the dissolveable ones. We have had to keep a bandaid with neosporin on it but it seems to be healing well. They said it should not get wet and that has been one of the hardest things. Jake loves to pour water over his head or even lay down on his tummy in the bath tub so we have been having to try our best to keep him from doing that.
So that was Friday... Saturday morning Jody and I were planning to go to the Auburn/Georgia game. Luke had been scratching his hair and my mom said she would look at it. She is a school nurse and sees here fair share of LICE so she said she would check. It is about 8am when she finds LICE in my babies hair. About 2 weeks prior I had seen a notice at the school about a child having lice in the classroom next to Jake. So we run to the store to get some products and start the cleaning process. If you have ever experienced lice then you know that the first thing you need to do is scream! The amount of washing and cleaning that you have to do is just crazy!!! Sheets, Car Seat Covers (4) , blankets, jackets, stuffed animals, rugs, etc.
We decided to try the mayonnaise treatment on Luke's hair. Most of the store products are pesticides and dangerous to children so we were trying to read about other ideas. Mayonnaise is one but the downfall is you have to leave it on the hair for 6-8 hours. So I put on gloves and rubbed mayonnaise.. yes mayonnaise all in Luke's hair. We wrapped his head in saran wrap and then put a bandana over the top. He was amazing!! (Jody and I left for the game- yes I felt horrible but my mom insisted that we go) After the mayonnaise sits on your hair for 8 hours - suffocating the lice_ you wash it out with dish soap you then have to brush through the hair trying to get out all lice and nits. On the way to the game I become obsessed with treatments and ideas and searching on the internet and in reading one blog it said that the fatal mistake is to not treat or check all kids. So that night we get back from the game.... we had a great time at the game but geez did Auburn play horrible... and I immediately check Jake's hair.......and he has lice... WHAT?? His hair is so white blonde that it was freaky that we could see 3 bugs in the middle of his head walking around.... So again we have to rewash everything that had been used that day! We decide that since it is night we dont have time to do the mayonnaise on him so we go back to the store and buy Lice MD which is not a pesticide and is pediatrician recommended. It was like baby oil... slippery and very messy. I cannot believe Jake sat and let us put that in his hair and then you have to comb through it and comb through it... We only found a few more. The next morning (Sunday) we check Luke again and NOOOO we find another bug and some nits. I am now freaking out!! I am so tired from washing and cleaning and combing!! I cannot thank my mom enough for her being here and helping me because without her I would have lost my mind. Jody was so supportive but men are just not the best in those types of situations... My personality is to become obsessed in situations like this and I just wanted it out of my house. If I could have I probably would have packed up and moved :) So we used the Lice MD on Luke and comb his hair for about an hour... my mom and I each taking turns on sides of his head to be sure we get everything. I continue to comb it later that day and did not see anything else. Monday I decide that I want to see what products are available to prevent lice because once you have it once... you REALLY do not want it again. The bad thing is that once you have had it once you are more likely to get it again. I found a place online called Headhunters Lice Removal Service (located in Alpharetta). I made an appt for Wed. to have us all checked. That place was awesome. So professional and give you all the specifics on what you need to be doing and all the stuff out there that is just a scam. The boys were all clear- Yippee! I had them check my hair while we were there and you guessed it.. I had the beginning stages. Luckily we caught it ahead of the game and so they were able to do a treatment (brushing my hair for about an hour) and got them all out. They said if you have 2 children with it that the parents have an 87% chance of getting it. So I went back the following week for a follow up and I was completely clear!! I do pray that was our one and only encounter but at least now I am prepared with what to do and where to go.
Here are a few pictures of Jake before and after his stitches-
![]() |
| Jake before stitches |
![]() |
| Jake with numbing medicine waiting to get stitches |
![]() |
| Jake after getting stitches Here are a few pictures of the boys getting their hair treated for Lice: |




No comments:
Post a Comment